In the spring of 2013 Sharon L. James garnered the University’s William C. Friday and Class of 1986 Award for Excellence in Teaching. The University gives only one Friday award annually to a faculty member who exemplifies excellence in teaching. It is named in honor of the University’s late chancellor.

The University recognized Prof. James and other honored instructors during halftime at the UNC-Virginia Tech Feb. 2 men’s basketball game.

“William C. Friday was one of the great leaders of higher education in U.S. history,” Prof. James said. “To say that I was surprised to receive a teaching award established in his name would be a major understatement! I had no idea that I had been nominated. I’m extremely honored, and I would like to thank the colleagues and especially the students who supported my nomination.”

The award comes at the end of a very busy 12 months for Prof. James, who co-directed the National Endowment for the Humanities Summer 2012 Institute: Roman Comedy in Performance and received news that Choice selected her co-edited volume, A Companion to women in the ancient world, as one of its “Outstanding Academic Titles of 2012.” The Association of American Publishers also gave the volume honorable mention in its 2012 PROSE Awards. Established by members of UNC’s 1986 graduating class, the award includes a stipend of $5,000.

We congratulate Prof. James on her well-deserved honor!