Sharon Lynn James
January 2, 1960 – December 28, 2023

In Memoriam

The Department of Classics at UNC-Chapel Hill announces with the utmost sadness that our colleague Sharon James died Thursday, December 28. She passed away peacefully at home with her husband Corry Arnold and their dogs. Sharon was in her 25th year of teaching at Carolina, and had a major impact on so many lives as a prolific and influential scholar of Latin poetry and the study of women in antiquity; as an award-winning teacher at all levels; as a mentor to graduate students, undergraduates, and colleagues near and far; and through her unique and extensive service to the Department and to the field of Classics. Sharon’s commitment to teaching was very simply an outgrowth of an on-going conversation on ancient literature and society, one that she devoted herself to daily with her colleagues, graduate students, and undergraduates, both in the classroom and in daily encounters—a reflection of her love of the material, her commitment to the field and discipline, and her excellence as a scholar. She demanded of her students what she demanded of her colleagues and indeed of herself: excellence in scholarship and an unending effort to understand the text, the past, and the present.

The hole she leaves in our lives cannot be measured.  Quis desiderio sit pudor aut modus / tam cari capitis?

Honoring Sharon’s wishes, there will be no funeral. Colleagues, friends, and family are strongly discouraged from sending flowers or similar gifts. If people feel compelled to make an offering, Corry has indicated that Sharon preferred that donations be made to the Animal Protection Society of Durham or an analogous organization protecting or sheltering pets.

In Memory of Sharon James (by her students, T. H. M. Gellar-Goad (Ph.D. ’12), Christopher B. Polt (Ph.D. ’10), and Serena S. Witzke (Ph.D. ’14).

‘Truly remarkable:’ Faculty and students remember classics professor Dr. Sharon James (by Annie Hamm)

6 Responses to “In Memoriam – Sharon Lynn James”

1. M L Stapleton

Dear friends: this was an absolutely wonderful, thoughtful, and loving tribute. It’s humbling to read.

2. Joy Connolly

I will remember Sharon always — she was a generous, supportive, forward thinking scholar. Sending my deep sympathy to her family and friends.

3. Karen Bassi

I am shocked and saddened to hear of Sharon’s death. It is difficult to believe that such a vibrant and inspirational presence is gone. I was an undergraduate student with Sharon at UCSC and then her colleague as teachers in the Classics program at UCSC. Students loved her and learned so much from her. She was also a wonderful colleague. She always knew the right thing to do — at the right time: advocating for students, supporting lecturers, encouraging younger scholars. And, of course, Sharon was funny … with a wry awareness of what was important and what not. Her scholarship was deep and committed to social issues with continued relevance. I send my condolences to her family, her many friends, and her colleagues.

4. Laurie Cosgriff

Sharon and I were undergraduates in classics together at UCSC. Her death came as a terrible shock, and I am deeply saddened by it. Sharon was a remarkable scholar and teacher, as her students and colleagues can attest. I can scarcely believe that she is gone. She was so full of life and had such a commanding presence. I send my deepest condolences to her family and all who knew her and loved her.

5. Nancy Sultan

I was surprised and saddened to hear of Sharon’s passing. I was a participant of the NEH Summer Seminar on Roman Comedy and Performance, organized in 2012 by Sharon and Tim Moore. We all had such fun researching and performing plays that many believed to be seriously unfunny. Sharon’s expertise and organizational skills made this experience extremely useful for scholars, teachers and dramatists from a wide variety of backgrounds. She and Tim inspired me to mount my own campus Megalensia complete with rituals, a banquet and a masked performance by students of Plautus’ Pseudolus. I never would have had the courage to attempt such a manor production without the encouragement that Sharon and Tim provided. I send heartfelt condolences to her family, students and colleagues. She will be missed and I hope honored at UNC with something permanent.

6. Tammy Pilisuk

Sharon and I have been friends since our dorm days at UC Santa Cruz, Cowell College. It’s quite a shock to lose someone so dear. A couple of years ago Sharon dug up letters I had sent her while we were both taking our junior year in Italy, me in Padova, her in Rome. What an amazing artifact letters were to transport us back to our 19 year old selves. I remember graduation, Sharon and Corry’s wedding, but Sharon was also the first one I called after my mom died. She was extraordinary, so smart, funny, caring, and no-nonsense. I regret not being able to visit more but she and Corry remain in my heart.